Friday, April 1, 2011

The Giant Flea- A review on Blackburn Flea 2.0 USB

I would like to take a moment to talk about this fantastic product made by Blackburn.
It is one of the best light sets I have ever owned! In fact I like them so much I've bought three sets so far, and continue to gift them to my friends and loved ones.
The Blackburn Flea 2.0 USB light set is one of the most powerful light sets packed into one of the smallest cases available. I often wonder how that is possible. (It never ceases to amaze me how technology gets more powerful and smaller every year!...Anyway enough of my babbling). The lights are very powerful with three settings. Low, high, and flashing. The lightbulbs are almost Indestructible, I haven't been able to break any myself anyway. I might add that I have dropped mine plenty of times. not even a scratch.
The low is bright enough to blind you if you were to look into it and make you see spots (LOL trust me). The high beam is bright enough to use as headlight in the darkest of environments I have done this as well so I am speaking from my personal experience.
I mostly use the lights in flashing mode. I feel this is the most visible mode.
In flashing mode you can see the reflective borders of stop signs for about four blocks away probably more. The rear light has three modes as well, all four LED's solidly on, all four blinking simultaneously, or two LED's alternating left to right.
The lights are easily attached via Velcro straps which have a non slip portion down the center to help with the lights from slipping, they hold very well I might add.(I'm not a big fan of lights that slip down when you use them) The rear also has a very sturdy metal clip this ensures the light will not jump off if you decide to clip the light on a bag or strap or anywhere your heart desires!
I have clipped mine to the back of seat bags, on my CamelBak, on the back of my Gore jacket as well...never once thinking twice about possibly losing my light.
I find that the lights hold their charge very well. One of the best features the new flea lights have is a charge level indicator built into the power/mode button, (green: fully charged, yellow: starting to run low, and red: better recharge or your going to kick your self later)
Charging the lights couldn't be easier; remove the velcro straps plug the USB charger into your USB slot in your computer or hub, line up the magnetic connections and watch them recharge, done and done, ready to roll! As you might have guessed I am a big fan of these lights, no more trying to find batteries when everyone is closed and I discovered I needed them. Not to mention the cost savings on not having to buy them at all then trying to find somewhere to recycle them as they die out (I have tried rechargeable batteries in my battery type lights but they never seem to last too long)
I would like to add that I am using the Flea Helmet/head/Hat Mount kit as well, depending on your helmet you may need to be creative about how to use it. However I do like having my lights there. I believe that I am more visible...it makes me feel better anyway.

2 comments:

  1. So the front strap is too large to wraparound normal handlebars (road drop bars). I find this completely a fail on their part. I read other reviews on the web that people had the same problem, even resorting to fashioning a clip or strap themselves to make the front light fit. Both little Velcro straps are the same length. The rear is OK as you can put it around the seat tube or a loop in your saddle bag. But on the front the strap wraps too far around so that the velcro plastic weave doesn't meet up with the fuzzy side to adhere. It will barely meet up then run into the light and is inevitably loose and falls down or off! I guess I will have to figure something out or put it on the headset sidways which will look really stupid and not what I want.
    I called Blackburn (Flea) up today and decided to ask if they had a solution or smaller straps as their product is proprietary to these straps and has no clip on like most EVERYONE else. I talked with "Kia" and she informed me that they never EVER had any such calls about this. I continued to ask politely about what I could do so that I could use their product and again she was just adiment about how she never heard of this. I informed her I read a few reviews that ppl had the same problem. She again offered no help and even was condescending about it. Basically I was treated as crazy and there was no issue. I found this just horrible customer service. Apparently there are 7 ppl that work there and no one (she says) has heard of it and if there was a problem they would have gotten a call. Well I guess I was the only one to call and ask - terrible me! She said to tell ppl to call them about it - OK everyone call them..ya right! I say just buy something else - unless you want to lose your headlight or plan a DIY adventure to get the thing to stay on and remove easily for charging. It doesn't seem like this company even designed the product the way she acted so who knows. All I know is it is a major fail and I'm not even asking for a snap on ring - but would be nice...I'm just asking for a 2 cent strap that fits a drop handlebar with Velcro on one side and rubber on the other and is super thin that I'm sure I can never find. :( This wouldn't be a big deal if it was permanently attached but you have to take it off to charge it every time so it is. It’s pretty much to long a fot to put around my tape on bars too. Geez what are they thinking!?
    Ok....so also the lights don't seem to last a jaunt around town at night. I'm going to cycle the batteries a bit and see.
    I do not recommend these but I’m keeping mine (returning a $55 used LBS item is a pain).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jim, it looks like you got a set of the Fleas from the last generation of them. We had some issues with the straps on smaller diameter bars, I can send you some smaller straps for your lights, or if you would like, email me anthony@villagecycle.com and I will get you a set of the newest Fleas with a better battery life and correctly sized straps.

    Have a great day, and enjoy your ride!

    For a bit of history on the evolution of the Flea, you can see it here -> http://villagecycle.blogspot.com/2012/05/blackburn-flea-20-usb-101-by-llama.html

    ReplyDelete